Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Urban Decay Black Magic Eye Pencil Set

I rarely if ever write about eye pencils. Partly cause I didn't own more than one brown and one black and partly because I feel most of them are not that great. True that I haven't tried all of them but whatever I have tried was either too stiff and chalky or too soft so it blends easy but then ends up smudging into a bit of a drug-addict-chic look. Not really ever what I am going for.

I do however own one Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil that I love so imagine my excitement when a Christmas present from Simone contained this beauuutiful set ot 4 double ended pencils.

Yes you read right that means not four but eight awesome shades. The formula of these pencils is pretty much perfect! Blends very easy but once its set doesn't start slipping around. This set contains some gorgeous dark and moody shades all perfect for different intensity of smokey eye.

I do not usually do swatches on the blog as I'm not sure my photographic skills are good enough to capture the colors perfectly but I its nice to see these shades next to each other so here goes.

Starting from L-R we have:
Black Velvet (Link)- a totally matte black that is very pigmented. The texture of this is a little drier and more powdery than the others but its not stiff. It just doesn't glide on as easily so needs a bit more work.

Smoke (Link)- A slightly brown based grey matte. To be honest I wished it looked more grey after blending it out but on me it really pulled brown. Its not easy to build this into a more deeper color either. I think its my least favorite of the bunch.

Black Market - this is described as "charcoal black satin". Meaning is does have a slightly grey undertone to the black especially when blended out. Its more pearly finish than Black Velvet and for that reason is not my favorite black.

Tornado - this one is a beauty. A deep cool eggplant shade with some serious sheen to it. Reflects light and makes green eye pop. Its easily buildable when going for a purple smokey eye.

Perversion (Link)- this one is unlike anything I have tried before. Its described as "blackest black matte". It is way creamier than the other ( you can see from the thick totally black line it produced with a single stroke). It has amazing color payoff and goes on so evenly in one easy motion. Amazing!

LSD (Link)- this dark blue one has a micro sparkle in it which makes me not pick it up very often. I mean I would wear a navy color on its own but the lighter blue glitter bits put me off. I didn't manage to catch the light on the swatch photo so you cant see it but it glitters I promise!

Zero (Link)- I have ran out of words to describe black so lets go with what Urban Decay says. It is a "zealous black cream". Its kind of a basic black if you ask me to say it in human language. Not too matt not soo pigmented kind of in the middle. Easy to use and all but nothing WOW.

Demolition (Link)- currently my favorite of the bunch. Its a warm under toned brown that is somewhere in the semi-matte category. Just a great everyday shade thats not too dark and dramatic.

The shades in this box are not limited edition, most are in permanent collection, so you can pick them up separately as full sized pencils.
 However if your eye pencil collection is meager like mine..just get the whole thing here!

2 comments:

  1. Love these! I'm with you when it comes to eye pencils, I have a black one and a dark grey one - both MAC kohl and the only ones I can apply. These look great though, I think I'll definitely add to my shopping list! Maitha x www.peonyandblue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a huge fan of pencils, but I do love the Urban Decay Curling Mascara and it became my hero product so I think you have tempted me to try the pencils out too.

    www.sabelista.com

    ReplyDelete